- Sarcasm: *
use of remarks which clearly mean the opposite of what they say, and
which are made in order to hurt someone's feelings or to criticize
something in an amusing way.
noun [C or U]
a way of criticizing people or ideas in a humorous way, or a piece of writing or play which uses this style.
- Black Humour:*
an amusing way of looking at or treating something that is serious or sad.
*dictionary meaning courtesy http://dictionary.cambridge.org
Other than these I have some types of my own. They may be defined at other places but I haven't bothered searching.
- Self deprecating humour: Now you are talking! This I can do and do in style. But this is risky game I have come to learn. people stop taking you seriously. People dumber than you think they are far superior than you just because they have never heard any one praising you. They know you as the butt of all jokes (that you yourself crack). You kinda start losing respect in other's eyes. You gotta perform so damn good in your work that you may be deprecated ONLY BY YOU. I have burnt my hands, but old habits die hard.
- Regional humour: This is only if you know your audience well enough. These are something like jokes on sardarji, mallu, bengoli. Not everyone appreciates it. Don't crack such jokes in office or at work place unless you are sure that there is no one of the community or from that region in the audience or you are absolutely sure of the group's sense of humour.
- Humour in uniform: These are jokes related to certain professions. Doctors, lawyers, accountants, Army Men, etc. Be cautious with this as well. Since these are related to a person's profession, it may show in the service you are getting. Army men generally take it in the right spirit and lawyers are the most dangerous lot.
- Humour in relationship: Kids jokes, Grandpa/Granny jokes, husband/wife or marriage based jokes or even circumstantial humour based on these people. This is cool humour. Have hardly seen anyone mind it!
- Humour@work: Best at workplace. The butt of the joke could be your boss, colleague, secretary, your organisation's performance, policies. Best thing about this type is that everyone appreciates it and can relate to it. Please avoid the theme of the joke to be ethnicity of any of the above 'butts' if you want to have a good working environment. Don't even bother to put this humour to work with your friends. They know nothing of your work, they wont be laughing at the joke, but at you.
This has been a really serious post I guess (and I mean no sarcasm..)
powered by performancing firefox